Amaretti-Stuffed Figs with Raspberry Sauce
- SERVINGS: 6
Fresh figs and balsamic vinegar are classic partners. That's why Marcia Kiesel moistens the filing here with a little balsamic vinegar and also drizzles a tiny bit on top of the grilled figs before serving. Authentic aged balsamic vinegar, made in Italy, is called Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale, and is relatively expensive, but well worth the cost.
- 1 cup raspberries
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup mascarpone, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 amaretti cookies (about 1 ounce), coarsely crumbled
- 3 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar, plus more for drizzling
- 6 large fresh green figs, stemmed
- 12 large fresh corn husks
- In a food processor, puree the raspberries with 2 tablespoons of the sugar. Strain the raspberry sauce through a fine sieve. In a small bowl, blend the mascarpone with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and the vanilla. In another small bowl, combine the amaretti cookies with the butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar.
- Set the figs on a work surface, stemmed side up. Using a paring knife, quarter them vertically, keeping 1 inch of the bottoms intact. Open the figs slightly and lightly sprinkle them with sugar. Spoon the amaretti cookie crumbs into the figs and press them lightly to close.
- Spread 6 corn husks on a work surface and set a fig, stemmed side up, 2 inches from the base of each husk. Top each fig with a second husk to enclose it completely. Tie the corn husks together tightly at each end with kitchen string.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the figs over a low fire, turning them every 2 minutes, until they are tender and the filling is bubbling, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the corn husks to plates and untie the packages. Discard the husks. Open the figs slightly and top each with a rounded teaspoon of the sweetened mascarpone. Lightly drizzle the figs with the raspberry sauce and balsamic vinegar and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.