- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock (See Note)
- 1 cup amaranth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 pound mixed wild mushrooms, such as oyster and shiitake, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh thyme
How to make this recipe
Bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the amaranth, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the amaranth is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove the amaranth from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a large stockpot, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Sauté the shallots and garlic for two minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and sauté for five minutes, until golden brown.
Divide amaranth between serving bowls, top with mushrooms, garnish with fresh thyme and serve.
If eating a gluten-free diet and using store-bought broth, check to make sure it's gluten-free.