Alsatian Potato and Bacon Tart
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 2 DOZEN SQUARES
- 6 ounces meaty slab or thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and coarsely shredded
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons snipped chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped sage
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound prepared pizza or bread dough, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup crème fraèche
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 500°. In a large, heavy skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until lightly browned around the edges, about 3 minutes; drain. Add the onion to the skillet and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the potato and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes; add a little water to the pan if the potato begins to stick. Stir in the vinegar, chives and sage and season with salt and pepper; remove from the heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 10-by-13-inch rectangle. Transfer to a lightly floured baking sheet, stretching it back into the rectangle.
- Stir the créme fraîche and nutmeg into the potato mixture and spread it over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border all around. Scatter the bacon on top. Bake the tart for 12 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Cut into squares and serve hot.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.