- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces slab bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium green cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds)halved, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Melt the butter in an enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until just softened, 2 minutes. Add the bacon and cook until golden and the fat is rendered, 4 minutes. Add the cabbage and caraway seeds, cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until tender, 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
The cabbage can be refrigerated overnight. Rewarm before serving.