Almost-Instant Masala Baked Beans
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Surajit Bomti Iyengar uses Devika Datt Duncan's recipe for baked beans as his go-to side dish. It might seem an unlikely Indian dish, but it's a holdover from the early 1900s' British Raj era. Cumin and coriander provide a distinctive Indian flavor.
More Indian Recipes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Two 16-ounce cans vegetarian baked beans
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add the cumin and coriander and cook over moderately high heat just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapeño and cook, stirring, just until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the beans and simmer over moderately low heat until heated through and bubbling, about 4 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and serve.