- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoes—peeled, seeded and cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely shredded basil leaves
How to make this recipe
Heat a large skillet. Add the tomatoes and cook over high heat until sizzling, 1 minute. Add the vinegar and sugar and a pinch each of salt and pepper and bring to a boil; transfer the tomatoes to a bowl. Boil the juices over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, 5 minutes. Stir the juices, olive oil and basil into the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Serve the relish warm or at room temperature.
The relish can be refrigerated for up to 3 days; let return to room temperature before serving.