Almost Instant Heirloom Tomato-Basil Relish
- TOTAL TIME: 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 1 1/2 cups
From Warren Schwartz at Saddle Peak Lodge in Calabasas, California, this pleasantly sweet relish can be served alongside grilled chicken or a meaty white-fleshed fish like halibut or mahi mahi.
- 2 pounds heirloom tomatoespeeled, seeded and cut into small dice
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely shredded basil leaves
- Heat a large skillet. Add the tomatoes and cook over high heat until sizzling, 1 minute. Add the vinegar and sugar and a pinch each of salt and pepper and bring to a boil; transfer the tomatoes to a bowl. Boil the juices over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, 5 minutes. Stir the juices, olive oil and basil into the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Serve the relish warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.