Almost-Instant Chilled Borscht
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Fresh beet juice and shredded beets are the secret to this ultra-fresh, super-quick take on borscht.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 cup coarsely shredded peeled raw beets
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups store-bought fresh beet juice
- Prepared horseradish, sour cream and dill sprigs, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, 3 minutes. Add the beets and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add the carrots, season with salt and pepper and cook until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook until evaporated. Add the beet juice and immediately transfer to a bowl. Set the bowl in a bowl of ice water to chill. Serve the borscht in small bowls, garnished with horseradish, sour cream and dill.