Almond Toasted Brioche
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Almond brioche (brioche filled with almond paste) is a Parisian breakfast staple. In her adaptation, Grace Parisi soaks store-bought brioche in almond-infused custard—almost as if she were making French toast—and bakes it until crisp. It's lovely sprinkled with confectioners' sugar and topped with berries.
- 1 1/4 cups sliced blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Six 1-inch-thick slices of brioche, cut from a 1-pound loaf
- Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- Berries, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a food processor, combine 1 cup of the sliced almonds with the granulated sugar and process until powdery, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, 2 tablespoons of the butter and the pure almond extract and process until creamy, about 2 minutes. With the food processor on, add the milk and process the custard mixture until blended. Transfer the custard mixture to a shallow baking dish.
- Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter evenly on one side of each slice of brioche. Dip the unbuttered sides of the brioche into the custard and transfer to a baking sheet, custard side up. Spoon any remaining custard over the bread and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of sliced almonds. Bake the almond brioche for about 20 minutes, until the bottom is golden and crisp and the almonds are lightly browned. Transfer the brioche to plates and dust lightly with confectioners' sugar. Top with fresh berries and serve.