Almond-Streusel Tea Cake
- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 40 MIN plus cooling time
- SERVINGS: 1 eight-inch loaf cake
The streusel in this moist, gluten-free loaf cake gets swirled into the center and sprinkled on top.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 1/2 ounces blanched slivered almonds, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 ounces blanched slivered almonds (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- MAKE THE STREUSEL In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats, almonds, flour, cinnamon and melted butter and mix until crumbly.
- MAKE THE TEA CAKE Preheat the oven to 350° and grease an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan. In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a food processor, combine the almonds and granulated sugar and pulse until finely ground. Transfer the ground almonds to a large bowl and add the butter; beat with a handheld electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla. At low speed, beat in half the flour mixture and then all of the milk, followed by the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle with half the streusel mixture. Top with the remaining batter and use a knife to swirl. Sprinkle the remaining streusel on top and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely in the pan on a rack. Unmold and dust the top with confectioners’ sugar.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.