- 4 cups mixed organic whole grain flakes, such as oat, kamut, barley and wheat
- 1 cup sliced natural almonds
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Combine the whole grain flakes with the almonds on a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread in an even layer and toast for about 10 minutes, stirring once, until light golden. Transfer the grain mixture to a large bowl. Leave the oven on. Coat the warm baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the butter.
- In a mini processor, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of butter with the flour, sugar and salt and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Or, pinch the ingredients together with your fingers. Add the crumbs to the grain mixture and toss. In a small pitcher, combine the maple syrup with the vanilla and almond extracts. Pour over the grain mixture and stir until the grains are evenly moistened.
- Spread the granola on the buttered baking sheet in an even layer and toast for 12 to 14 minutes, stirring once, until golden and dry. Let cool completely then stir in the raisins and cranberries.
The granola can be kept in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 2 months.
One-Half Cup Calories 186 kcal, Total Fat 6.2 gm, Saturated Fat 1.4 gm.