© Matthew Hranek
Almond Berry Cakes
- SERVINGS: 8
The almond flour, or almond meal, that gives these cakes their unique flavor is available at specialty food shops.
- 2 cups almond flour (7 ounces)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease eight shallow 4 1/2-inch ramekins or foil tart pans. Set them on 2 baking sheets. In a bowl, sift the almond flour with the confectioners' sugar and all-purpose flour.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy. On low speed, gradually beat in half of the dry ingredients. Beat in 1 egg, then beat in one-fifth of the remaining dry ingredients; repeat until all the eggs and dry ingredients are incorporated. Add the rum and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins, spreading it evenly. Sprinkle the berries on top.
- Bake the cakes in the upper and lower thirds of the oven for about 30 minutes, or until golden and firm. Let the cakes cool slightly. Unmold and serve warm or at room temperature.