- SERVINGS: 8
This salad of many vegetables allows Michael Locascio, an insurance salesman, to wield his astounding collection of more than 100 knives.
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 large Belgian endive, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 fennel bulb—halved lengthwise, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 hearts of palm—drained, rinsed and thinly sliced diagonally
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, endive, fennel, hearts of palm, scallions, tomatoes, bell peppers, carrot and red onion and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 6 minutes; let cool.
- In a bowl, mix the oil, vinegar and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Add the blue cheese and pine nuts to the salad, toss with the dressing and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.