- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 3 cups (enough for 1 pound of pasta)
This spicy, pancetta-studded sauce is great with shellfish and bucatini, the hollow, spaghetti-like pasta.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta—sliced 1/4-inch thick, then cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- One 35-ounce can whole peeled Italian tomatoes with their juices, crushed by hand
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 basil sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Sauté the diced pancetta with the garlic and crushed red pepper over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes with their juices. Stir in the sugar and basil, season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and is reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper. Discard the basil sprigs and garlic.
Make Ahead The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.