- 3/4 pound ground chuck, about 80 percent lean
- 3/4 pound ground sirloin, about 90 percent lean
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 kaiser rolls or hamburger buns, split and toasted
- Grilled Chile Relish
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. In a bowl, mix the ground meats and gently form into four 4-inch patties, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Make a 1/2-inch-deep indentation in the center of each patty, then rub lightly with the oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill the burgers over high heat, turning once, about 6 minutes for medium-rare; transfer to the buns, top with the relish and serve.
Home-Ground Hamburger Meat Trim the fat around 3/4 pound each of chuck roast and sirloin steak until it's 1/4 inch thick. Cut the meat into 2-by-1-inch strips, transfer to a nonreactive bowl and toss with 1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Using a meat grinder fitted with a medium disk, grind the meat.