- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups large coconut flakes (about 5 ounces)
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 pints vanilla ice cream
- Chopped marcona almonds, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, whisk the egg whites with the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla until the sugar is mostly dissolved. Add the coconut flakes and toss to coat. Spread the coconut on the baking sheet in an even layer and bake for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden and fragrant. Let cool completely, then break the crispy coconut into small pieces.
- Meanwhile, put the chocolate in a heatproof medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream just to a boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand undisturbed for 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- For each sundae, put 1 scoop of vanilla ice cream in a tall glass, top with chocolate sauce, chopped almonds and coconut crispies and repeat once more. Serve right away.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.