- One 1-liter oak barrel (see Note)
- 11 ounces gin
- 11 ounces sweet vermouth
- 11 ounces Campari
- Orange twists, for serving
How to make this recipe
- If the barrel is new and dry inside, fill it with water and let stand until watertight, about 24 hours. Drain.
- Using a funnel, fill the barrel with all of the liquid ingredients. Let age, tasting a sample once a week, until the cocktail has taken on a rounded but not overly oaky flavor, about 1 month.
- Strain the cocktail through a coffee filter–lined funnel into a glass container and store indefinitely.
- To serve, pour 3 ounces of the cocktail into an ice-filled rocks glass and stir well, then garnish with a twist.
You can find 1-, 2-, 3- and 5-liter barrels at tuthilltown.com ($60 to $96). For barrels larger than 1 liter, multiply each aged cocktail recipe proportionately.