Aged El Presidente
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: about 1 liter
This delicious rum-based cocktail develops a smooth, deep flavor after being aged in an oak barrel for a month.
Slideshow: Delicious Rum Drinks
- One 1-liter oak barrel (see Note)
- 18 1/2 ounces gold rum, such as Flor de Caña
- 9 ounces dry vermouth
- 3 ounces Grand Marnier
- 2 ounces grenadine, such as Small Hand Foods from caskstore.com
- Orange twists, for serving
- If the barrel is new and dry inside, fill it with water and let stand until watertight, about 24 hours. Drain.
- Using a funnel, fill the barrel with all of the liquid ingredients. Let age, tasting a sample once a week, until the cocktail has taken on a rounded but not overly oaky flavor, about 1 month.
- Strain the cocktail through a coffee filter–lined funnel into a glass container and store indefinitely.
- To serve, pour 3 ounces into an ice-filled cocktail shaker and stir until chilled. Strain the drink into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a twist.
Notes You can find 1-, 2-, 3- and 5-liter barrels at tuthilltown.com ($60 to $96). For barrels larger than 1 liter, multiply each aged cocktail recipe proportionately.