- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Madras curry powder
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound pizza dough, divided into 16 balls
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to make this recipe
In a small skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat until caramelized, 15 minutes. Scrape into a bowl and let cool.
In a small bowl, whisk the ketchup with the ginger, curry powder, soy sauce, garlic and the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil; season with salt. Scrape half of the spiced ketchup into the bowl with the onion; stir in the cheese.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough balls into 3-inch rounds. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cheese filling onto the center of each round. Bring up the dough around the filling and press to seal in the cheese.
In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of oil to 325°. Fry the cheese bites in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and puffed, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bites to a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Serve right away, with the remaining spiced ketchup for dipping.