- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 ounces dried guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Pinch of sugar
- Kosher salt
- Four 1-inch-thick, bone-in pork rib chops
- Corn salad, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chiles and cook, stirring, until well toasted and fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the chiles are softened, 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender, add the sugar and puree until smooth. Transfer the adobo sauce to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill and oil the grate. Season the chops with salt and pepper and rub with 3/4 cup of the adobo sauce. Grill over moderate heat, turning every 5 minutes and basting with the remaining 3/4 cup of sauce, until cooked through, 20 minutes. Transfer the chops to plates and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve with corn salad.
Medium-bodied, red-berried Italian red.