10-Minute Tomato Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 3 1/2 cups
A tablespoon of butter makes this speedy sauce especially luxurious. Michael Schlow recommends leaving the butter out if you're planning to freeze the sauce, and adding it during reheating.
- One 28-ounce can whole Italian tomatoes with their juices
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 10 basil leaves
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a food processor, pulse the tomatoes with their juices until finely chopped. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the basil leaves and cook until they begin to wilt, 10 seconds. Add the pinch of crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the unsalted butter. Season the sauce with salt and pepper and toss with pasta.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.