- Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Model Hailey Clauson Is a Hot Sauce Freak, and Other Fun Facts
- Full Frontal's Samantha Bee on Smuggling Food and Staying Fueled for Her Show
- The Nightgale’s Kristin Hannah on Her Cookbook Obsession and Favorite Mai Tai
- Meet the Artist Behind the Most Insta-Worthy Café in the U.S.
- How Outdoor Style Icon Andrea Westerlind Does Summer
- Michael Strahan Loves Tequila, Hangs with Star Chefs
- Tiffani Thiessen on Her Type-A Party Planning and Love for Quinoa
- Moby On Veganism, His New Book, and His Love For Mark Bittman's Vegan Evangelism
- Lena Dunham Loves Burgers for Breakfast and L.A.'s Vegan Scene
- Fareed Zakaria Opens Wine Just Because
Grammy- and Academy Award–winning rapper and actor Common loves cookies, green juice and Christmas catfish.
Feeding Young Minds
I believe that what you eat affects the way you feel, the way you think and how beautiful you can look, so I’m really passionate about introducing kids to a holistic, healthy, good life. That’s why my foundation, Common Ground, offers nutritional programs where chefs come in and talk about eating healthfully.
I like green juice, especially one called Green Machine, because it gives me that kick I need. I almost played the Green Lantern in a film, but maybe Green Machine should be my superhero name.
I grew up in Chicago eating everything: barbecue, hamburgers, bacon. Then I heard rappers, like KRS-One in “My Philosophy,” say things about not eating meat, which was a real education, especially since it was coming from somebody cool. That stayed with me and made me want to learn more.
As soon as I removed meat from my diet, I started to feel a clarity I didn’t have before. It sounds funny, but I feel like I was rapping better. I was vegan for a while, then came back to the middle and started eating fish and seafood.
Food is a big part of celebrating Christmas. Eggnog is one tradition I really enjoy. I’ve found some nondairy versions that are pretty good, especially spiked with a little liquor. My mother has learned to cook healthy food for me, but she also makes me her fried catfish. I know it’s not the best for me, but I love it.
I’m a cookie monster. I like the gluten-free, sugar-free ones from Erin McKenna’s in NYC. I’ll come home after working hard, and they’re my treat—I’ve earned them.