The Palace Hotel
When the Palace Hotel was built on New Montgomery Street in 1875, it was thought to be the largest and costliest luxury hotel in the world. Completely rebuilt after the 1906 earthquake, the nine-story Beaux-Arts landmark is still the “Grand Dame” of San Francisco. The original carriage entrance is now the famed Garden Court, where afternoon tea is served beneath 10 chandeliers and an 80,000-pane stained-glass ceiling. In the Pied Piper Bar, a 1909 Maxfield Parris mural of the eponymous tale dominates the room. Turn-of-the-century styling also continues in the 553 guestrooms, designed with dark mahogany furniture and 14-foot ceilings.