- What Happens When a Street Food Hawker and a Fine Dining Chef Make Dinner?
- Go Hog Wild at the NC Barbecue Revival This Weekend
- Last Call: Alex Raij and Eder Montero Are Making Poole's Diner-Inspired Tapas Tonight
- Party Like Nancy Reagan by Raiding This Extravagant Christie's Auction
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at the 11th Euphoria Festival?
- Tim Love Cooks for Rock Stars
- 5 Great Bottles for Riesling Fanatics
- Jonathan Waxman's Way
- Meet the Women Running This Year's Food Book Fair
- Sean Brock Curating Taste Talks and Bringing Fried Chicken and Whiskey to Brooklyn
This Houston block party features Aaron Franklin’s brisket, a Lambrusco bar and more.
Prepare yourself for the meat sweats: Underbelly’s Chris Shepherd is bringing back Southern Smoke, his annual outdoor bash gathering chef friends like Aaron Franklin and Ashley Christensen (and their grilled meaty goodness) to raise funds for the National MS Society.
It goes down on Sunday, November 6th, and there are still tickets available ($200 for general admission and $350 for VIP admission, which comes with early entry, premium wines and a gift bag).
This all started two years ago, when Shepherd found out his former sommelier Antonio Gianola was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. He rounded up his buds last year for the first-ever Southern Smoke, which raised $180,000.
This year, Shepherd is aiming for $200,000, and he’s invited Scott’s Bar-B-Que‘s Rodney Scott to take on whole hog, Franklin Barbecue’s Aaron Franklin for brisket, Poole’s Ashley Christensen for beer-can chicken, City House’s Tandy Wilson for smoked Vietnamese bologna with nuoc-mam slaw, Pêche’s Ryan Prewitt for grilled oysters, Cochon’s Stephen Stryjewski for boudin and the HOUBBQ Collective for something spit-roasted that's still top-secret.
Of course, there will be great wine curated by Underbelly’s sommelier Matt Pridgen and Camerata’s David Keck, and brews from local breweries Saint Arnold and Karbach. Plus, Folk Family Revival and Grammy-winning Rebirth Brass Band are on music duty. Click here to ensure yourself a Sunday well spent.