- Jeremy Fox Announces Tour for His New Cookbook
- Ina Garten Explains Why She's Never Had Kids with Her Husband Jeffrey
- Why a Chicago Chef's Restaurant is Named After a Silent Artist
- Jean-Georges Vongerichten Makes It Grain at His New NYC Vegetable-Centric Spot, abcV
- Detroit Hotspot Katoi Raises $20,000 After a Devastating Fire
- What's Inside a Hawaiian Wellington?
- Revealed: This Year's James Beard Foundation Awards Restaurant and Chef Semifinalists
- Get ‘Em While They’re Hot: Two Hands in NYC Has Hot Cross Buns for Easter
- Gordon Ramsay Won't Be Leaving His Vast Fortune to Any of His Children
- The Trump Organization Has Settled Its Lawsuit With Chef José Andrés
The Pizza Love Emily team mashes up burgers and Detroit style pizza at their NYC slice shop.
It all started with a customer’s order.
After Hyland turned the Emmy Burger into a pizza for a month-long stint at Emmy Squared, customers kept asking for it, and Hyland couldn’t resist revisiting the ultimate junk food mash-up with his namesake burger. Now he's transformed Le Big Matt burger—which started as a weekend special at the bar—into a thick, focaccia-like Detroit-style pizza. Starting today, it's available off the menu at Burger Bar for $23.
The Le Big Matt Pizza is essentially a plain Detroit pizza layered with nuggets of Fleisher’s beef, mozzarella and American cheese, secret Sammy sauce, bitter mizuna and thick coins of bread and butter pickles. It’s a meaty, sweet-savory, textural mess of deliciousness, and worth asking the bartender down at Burger Bar for a whole pan. (Don’t bother looking for it on the menu; it’s not there.)
“It’s about having fun and getting weird and realizing this is actually delicious,” Hyland says. “Strange, but delicious.”
Indeed, it is.