- 7 Chefs' Halloween Candy Obsessions
- Party for a Cause at Chris Shepherd’s Southern Smoke
- In Knives & Ink, Chefs Tell the Stories Behind Their Tattoos
- Tailgate Like a Pro with 5 Ideal Sandwich-and-Beer Pairings
- Anthony Bourdain's Surprisingly Traditional Thanksgiving
- Team Estela Opens Flora Bar and Flora Coffee Tonight in The Met Breuer
- Restaurant Roots: Deuki Hong's Fried Chicken Dreams
- Chef Nick Stefanelli's Guide to Puglia and Rome
- The Best Trick for Cooking Button Mushrooms
- Chef Travis Swikard's Guide to Autumn Squash
The Pizza Love Emily team mashes up burgers and Detroit style pizza at their NYC slice shop.
It all started with a customer’s order.
After Hyland turned the Emmy Burger into a pizza for a month-long stint at Emmy Squared, customers kept asking for it, and Hyland couldn’t resist revisiting the ultimate junk food mash-up with his namesake burger. Now he's transformed Le Big Matt burger—which started as a weekend special at the bar—into a thick, focaccia-like Detroit-style pizza. Starting today, it's available off the menu at Burger Bar for $23.
The Le Big Matt Pizza is essentially a plain Detroit pizza layered with nuggets of Fleisher’s beef, mozzarella and American cheese, secret Sammy sauce, bitter mizuna and thick coins of bread and butter pickles. It’s a meaty, sweet-savory, textural mess of deliciousness, and worth asking the bartender down at Burger Bar for a whole pan. (Don’t bother looking for it on the menu; it’s not there.)
“It’s about having fun and getting weird and realizing this is actually delicious,” Hyland says. “Strange, but delicious.”
Indeed, it is.