- 20+ Delicious Emmy Awards Cocktails and Snacks
- 5 Dreamy Late-Night Snacks From Bar Tartine's Cortney Burns
- The Chef Diet: Beautiful Salads and Indulgent Desserts
- Genius Game Day Snack: Khe-Yo's Sesame Beef Jerky
- F&W Joins Forces with Instagram on the First #FWCookbook
- Follow the #FWFesties for Sun, Fun and Lots of Feasting at the Cayman Cookout
- The Little Trick to Eating Ramen That Will Change Your Slurping Game
- There’s No Poutine at the Highly Anticipated Riel, Opening Next Week
- What Happens When the Man Behind Sushi Nakazawa Takes on NYC Icon Chumley’s
- 7 Odd Kitchen Gadgets Chefs Can’t Live Without
The Pizza Love Emily team mashes up burgers and Detroit style pizza at their NYC slice shop.
It all started with a customer’s order.
After Hyland turned the Emmy Burger into a pizza for a month-long stint at Emmy Squared, customers kept asking for it, and Hyland couldn’t resist revisiting the ultimate junk food mash-up with his namesake burger. Now he's transformed Le Big Matt burger—which started as a weekend special at the bar—into a thick, focaccia-like Detroit-style pizza. Starting today, it's available off the menu at Burger Bar for $23.
The Le Big Matt Pizza is essentially a plain Detroit pizza layered with nuggets of Fleisher’s beef, mozzarella and American cheese, secret Sammy sauce, bitter mizuna and thick coins of bread and butter pickles. It’s a meaty, sweet-savory, textural mess of deliciousness, and worth asking the bartender down at Burger Bar for a whole pan. (Don’t bother looking for it on the menu; it’s not there.)
“It’s about having fun and getting weird and realizing this is actually delicious,” Hyland says. “Strange, but delicious.”
Indeed, it is.