- Where to Eat Detroit-Style Pizza, Outside Detroit
- Team Estela Opens Flora Bar and Flora Coffee Tonight in The Met Breuer
- Toups South Opens with Aaron Franklin’s Smoker and a 160-Year-Old Bar
- Last Call: Alex Raij and Eder Montero Are Making Poole's Diner-Inspired Tapas Tonight
- Tomato Golf and Ultimate Fighting: How Chefs Unwind After Service
- Vegas’s Next Mega Food Destination
- L.A.’s Iconic Michael’s Debuts New Chef Miles Thompson
- Grae Nonas Lands in Minneapolis, Embraces His "Viking" Heritage
- Guess Who's Coming to Dinner at the 11th Euphoria Festival?
- Angie Mar Dreams of Ribeye at The Beatrice Inn, Revamped and Opening Today
© The Delicious Life
Loving food can turn ugly.
While "foodies" have been teased in the past, the backlash is intensifying. Chef-author Gabrielle Hamilton, of NYC's Prune, recently called them "a bummer." The Atlantic ran a long piece arguing that food-obsessing crosses into nebulous moral territory. And of course, we recently decried the overuse of farm-to-everything.
F&W staffers have learned to watch out for the moment when simply loving food becomes an ugly obsession, and we helpfully came up with the following list of danger signs. You might be a foodie if…
1. It takes more time to decide where to dine than to have dinner.
2. You know the names of meat distributors other than Pat LaFrieda.
3. You ask the waitress to be specific about the kind of kale in the salad.
4. You've paid to eat dinner at a stranger's apartment.
5. You've joined a line with more than five people in it, for a sandwich, from a truck.
6. Your entrée choice hinges more on where it was raised than on what it is.
7. You tweet your meals before dessert.
8. Your coffee has a proper name.
9. You've tasted single udder butter.
10. You've made your own sausage. After meeting the pig.
11. Your closets are being used as cheese caves or beer cellars.
12. Queens is a culinary destination.
13. Your pick-up line asks "What's your favorite restaurant."
14. You've spent more than $10 on a cocktail outside of a club.
15. You roll your eyes at molten chocolate cake.