- The Ultimate Wine Party Snack
- Salad Dressing Days
- How to Pair Kale Salad with Wine
- 17 Wine Resolutions for 2017 from Top Sommeliers
- 9 of the Best Wine and Cheese Pairings Ever
- For Champagne, Skip the Flute
- 7 Top Sparkling Wines of 2014
- The Vineyard on the Israeli-Palestinian Border
- Pecan Pie in a Glass
- A Cookbook from Italy’s Most Dreamy Resort
While researching a piece on the best wineries near beaches for a story that will appear in our October issue, I discovered that there is a die-hard community of surfing winemakers around the world, from Santa Barbara to Basque country. Perhaps the most serious of the bunch are the winemakers in South Africa’s Cape Winelands, including the guys over at Tokara, Beaumont and MAN Vintners. They all showed up for the 10th annual Vintners Surf Classic, held this past weekend. The two-day event attracted 40 to 50 surfers plus family and industry friends who came for the Champagne breakfast and post-contest barbecue. Contest organizer Miles Mossop, the winemaker at Tokara, e-mailed me the highlights, including the winners in the three different categories. I'm pushing for an international competition—pitting together surfing winemakers from around the world—for next year.
1st Gunter Schultz - Kleinood
1st Johan Reyneke - Reyneke Wines
1st Anton Smal - Villiera
© Eben Sadie
When he's not making wine, Eben Sadie is riding waves.