- This London Bar Is Making Wine-Free Wines
- Flowery Cocktails for Bridal Showers
- 7 Ways to Transform the Appletini into a Respectable Cocktail
- 9 Margaritas to Drink With Your Friends on Valentine's Day
- 7 Ways to Make an Ultra-Springy Pimm's Cup
- 9 Gins to Try for World Gin Day
- The Best Canned Wines for Undercover Drinking on New Year's Eve
- 7 Low Alcohol Cocktails To Drink All Day Long on Thanksgiving
- Spring Drinking from the Pantheon of Modern Classic Cocktails
- Why Christina Tosi Is Bringing Pressed Juice to Milk Bar
Packed with umami flavors and yet somehow refreshing, the Michelada is the perfect game day drink.
A Michelada is an entire Super Bowl snack spread packed into one cocktail: There’s beer (a football-watching necessity). There’s hot sauce (a requisite condiment for nachos, tacos or hot wings). Occasionally there’s tomato (think ketchup for fries or tomato-based barbecue sauces). And there’s salt (is there anything that isn’t salty when it comes to Super Bowl snacking?). Plus, like any good game day spread, Micheladas are easily customizable. Here, our favorite recipes for the zingy beertail.
Though it’s often made with pilsner (a light, hoppy beer), mixologist Joaquin Simo prefers to use a dark, malty brew in his take on a Michelada.
2. Vodka Micheladas
In cookbook author Georgia Pellegrini's take on a Michelada, she swaps spicy homemade jalapeno-infused vodka for the beer. She says, "Good things are meant to evolve."
3. Damian Windsor’s Michelada
"You can make Micheladas with tomato or Clamato juice—everyone has a preference," says Damian Windsor. He makes his version of the Mexican classic with tomato.
4. Spiked Mango Michelada
A shot of tequila and a spiced rim give this cool, frothy Mexican beer cocktail a nice kick.
5. Michelada Gingembre
Fresh ginger juice makes this spritzy drink extra refreshing.