- 5 Ways to Celebrate Pi(e) Day a La Mode
- 7 Yakitori Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Banh Mi Recipes for Desk Lunch Domination
- 7 Movie Theater-Inspired Snacks for an Awesome Oscar Party
- 7 Oscar Party Foods on a Stick
- 7 Sparkling Oscar Night Cocktails
- 7 Dressed-Up Bow-Tie Pasta Recipes for Oscar Night Dinner
- 9 Elegant Oscar Party Dessert Ideas
- 11 Monday Brunch Recipes
- 11 Super-Melty-Cheesy Dishes for a Snow Day
Everything you need to know about white asparagus.
Spring is in the air, which means asparagus is in the greenmarket. The narrow, green spears are prolific this time of year, but their thicker, paler cousins are a bit harder to come by. Available only from April to June, ghostly white asparagus is an especially delicious seasonal specialty.
White asparagus is the same plant as green asparagus, but it lacks color because it's grown underground. Farmers cover it with soil as it grows, so the stalks don't undergo photosynthesis. There's one other big difference: Before cooking, you'll need to peel away the stalks' thick, bitter skin. After that, your best bet is to boil or steam. Here are seven of our favorite recipes for ultra-seasonal white asparagus.
1. White Asparagus with Pistachio Polonaise
You’ll want to eat the crunchy pistachio topping on everything.
2. White Asparagus Salad with Creamy Tomato Dressing
This simple, composed salad is a lovely way to showcase white asparagus’s buttery flavor.
3. White Asparagus with Brown Butter
Here is the perfect spring side dish.
4. Spring Vegetable Stew
Want to make this stew extra-springy? Add some fava beans to the seasonal mix.
5. Soft-Shell Crabs with Oyster Sauce and White Asparagus
This unusual dish pairs crispy pan-fried soft-shell crabs with mild white asparagus and funky oyster sauce.
6. White Asparagus and Ham Gratin
Like a frugal Alsatian housewife, Jean-Georges Vongerichten uses the asparagus peels to make a fragrant broth. When he adds them to boiling water, their characteristically grassy aroma emerges almost immediately.
7. Portobello Mushroom Pave with White Asparagus Vinaigrette
Marinated mushroom stacks are delicious with a creamy, herbaceous asparagus vinaigrette.