- An Italian White that Smells Like Fresh Herbs and Ripe Peaches
- Floral, Fragrant Bordeaux to Buy Now
- Winter's #1 Party Riesling
- The Best Reason to Drink Gewürztraminer This Summer
- An Under-the-Radar Region That Makes Amazing Sauvignon Blanc
- Toast 2014 With Elegant Pink Cava
- Why You Should be Drinking Pinot Bianco
- A Vividly Delicious Italian White
- A Thanksgiving Red to Buy by the Case
- A Lemony, Spicy White Rhône for the New Year
Wine people disagree with each other on many things, but red Rioja from R. López de Heredia isn't one of them.
2001 R. López de Heredia Viña Tondonia Reserva Rioja: Wine people disagree with each other on many things, but red Rioja from R. López de Heredia is not one of them. The 136-year-old producer uses traditional, low-tech methods to make beautiful, refined Tempranillo-based blends that are just as complex as they are enjoyable to drink. The 2001 growing season was very good in Rioja, and the wine from López de Heredia's Tondonia vineyard has aged wonderfully. It has scents of leather and tea, with cedar and berry flavors. There's one more thing that makes it an ideal gift: It's easy to find, which is a rare thing for a brilliant, mature wine that's so well-priced for its quality.
Also Look For: Bottlings from other good Rioja producers, like the opulent 2001 C.V.N.E. Imperial Gran Reserva or the 2001 La Rioja Alta Viña Ardanza Reserva Especial.