- Best Popcorn Crunch Ever!
- Best Baby Snacks: Little Duck Organics Tiny Fruits
- 3 Tasty Ways to Flavor Edamame
- Apple Pie for Breakfast, PB&J Porridge and More New Takes on Hot Grain Cereals
- If You Like Lamb Shanks, Try Lamb Shoulder Chops
- The Chestnut's Stunt Double
- Peanut Butter Plus
- Fantastic Austrian Pumpkin Seeds
- Party-Ready Red Walnuts
- Whole-Wheat Pasta That You Can Cook Perfectly
Courtesy of Scrumptious Pantry
F&W food editors apply their incredible cooking knowledge to explaining what to do with a variety of interesting ingredients.
In the Food Department here, many of the products we try every week are condiments—jams and jellies, oils and vinegars, sauces, pickles and relishes, spice blends and flavoring salts. It’s actually a huge field, and a hard one to stand out in because there are so many good products. I normally wouldn’t use a seasoning salt, as I have a huge arsenal of herbs and spices at home, but there is one exception that I’ve bought again and again. It’s made by a company called the Scrumptious Pantry that’s based in Chicago, but sources its products from family farms in Italy in addition to the Midwest and California, where the owner used to manage a biodynamic winery.
Of course, it makes me feel good to know that the salt comes from a good place, but what I really love is the fresh, vibrant flavor that gets Italy just right. Whether you’re seasoning porchetta or bistecca, or just sprinkling the Herbed All-Purpose Salt on olive oil-roasted carrots and potatoes, its balance of salt, sage, rosemary, bay, lemon and garlic is just right; there's nothing musty about it. The salts are available at specialty food shops or by mail order from thescrumptiouspantry.com.