- In Defense of Cabernet Franc
- A $10 Red Made By a Tuscan Superstar
- 3 Best-Ever Sweater-Weather Reds
- A Winemaker’s Secret Inexpensive Go-To Sparkler
- A Go-To Cocktail Party Red
- A Napa Valley Sommelier’s Go-To
- A Chardonnay for Relaxing on the Couch
- Pinot Noir’s Next Hot Region?
- Greece's Answer to Pinot Noir
- An $11 Spanish Red Made from a Grape You've Never Heard Of
Made without added sulfites, this meaty red has deep, dark fruit that’s great with wintery dishes.
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: David Welch, bar manager and co-owner of Lincoln in Portland, Oregon
Why: This Sicilian red comes from a small cooperative winery that is both eco-conscious and socially conscious: The growers farm their land organically and hire disadvantaged youth to work at the winery. Made without added sulfites, this meaty red has deep, dark fruit that’s great with wintery dishes.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and co-founder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.