- A Go-To Wine Pairing for Pulled Pork
- A Chardonnay for Relaxing on the Couch
- A Red That Can Pair with Asparagus
- A Fruity, Floral Red from Spain’s Ribeira Sacra
- The Best Wines to Pair with Mac and Cheese
- 3 Best-Ever Sweater-Weather Reds
- A Winemaker’s Secret Inexpensive Go-To Sparkler
- 3 Bottles From France’s Best Value Region
- 5 Wines to Pair with Roast Chicken
- 3 Wines to Pair with Beef Stew
Made without added sulfites, this meaty red has deep, dark fruit that’s great with wintery dishes.
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: David Welch, bar manager and co-owner of Lincoln in Portland, Oregon
Why: This Sicilian red comes from a small cooperative winery that is both eco-conscious and socially conscious: The growers farm their land organically and hire disadvantaged youth to work at the winery. Made without added sulfites, this meaty red has deep, dark fruit that’s great with wintery dishes.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and co-founder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.