- 4 European Hotels with Immersive Cooking Classes
- 3 Persian Foods to Know Now
- Brunch-Inspired Cocktails
- San Francisco Bar Crawl: Bourbon-Spiked Cappuccino and Turn of the Century Cocktails
- In Praise of Porksgiving
- Apple Pie for Breakfast, PB&J Porridge and More New Takes on Hot Grain Cereals
- 7 New Restaurants That Defy Culinary Trends
- How to Make a 4-Course Middle Eastern Fantasy Menu
- 10 Wines Under $20
- When Coffee & Cocktails Collide
Neon pink cocktails were boss in the '80s. © Tina Rupp
First Bruce Willis reappeared and flashed us back to the '80s with the latest Die Hard installment, A Good Day to Die Hard. Then Halle Berry showed up at the Oscars in a dress that looked like she got it straight from Joan Collins in her Dynasty heyday. And now New York City’s Museum of Modern Art has a collection of arcade video games, featuring the most popular one of them all, Pac-Man.
So the ’80s are back. And they’re way back in the world of food and drinks. Here are more clues that show the resurgence of the decade in all its neon pink cocktails and Lean Cuisine glory.
1. Cool Ranch Doritos Locos Tacos from Taco Bell
What’s one of the most iconic chips from the ’80s? I’ll answer that question: Cool Ranch Doritos. Now Taco Bell (which has had crazy success with its Doritos Nacho Cheese tacos) is selling its seasoned beef tacos in shells made with Cool Ranch Doritos.
2. Return of the Power Lunch
Look out for more power lunch situations, like the one at Mad Hatter in Washington, DC. Their Power Lunch isn’t quite the same as the ones that corporate heavyweights clocked hours over in the ’80s. For one thing, it costs $7; for another, they say they’ll have you in and out in 20 minutes. But Mad Hatter is serving ’80s classics like paninis on Mondays, blackened chicken salad on Wednesdays, pasta bar on Thursdays and a fajita bar on Fridays.
3. Kitschy Cocktail Comeback
Cocktails from the ’80s were all about getting your attention, whether for their flaming color (Cosmopolitan), or their enticing names. Exhibit A: Sex on the Beach shots, which are back at places like New York City’s Mission Chinese Food. In fact, when they got their liquor license, it’s the first drink they started perfecting.
Related: America’s Best Taco Spots
America’s Best Bars
Best Burgers in the U.S.