- Lively and Smoky: Red Muscadet
- The German Wine You Probably Never Heard of, but Should Be Drinking
- 4 Wines to Pair with Roasted Vegetables
- A Red That Can Pair with Asparagus
- A Fruity and Savory Under-$15 Cabernet
- A Sicilian Red Wine with a Do-Gooder Story
- The Best Wines to Pair with Mac and Cheese
- A Virginia Chardonnay That's Amazing with Seafood
- A Fruity, Floral Red from Spain’s Ribeira Sacra
- A Brilliant Biodynamic White from Oregon
Frappato is a lighter-bodied, refreshing and fruity red from southern Sicily that you can chill down, toss in your cooler and take to the beach
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Stevie Stacionis, owner and wine buyer at Bay Grape, in Oakland, California.
What: 2012 Tamí Frappato
Why: "Winemaker Arianna Occhipinti is my heroine and she's a wine industry heartthrob—beautiful inside and out. She's eloquent, gutsy, passionate about sustainability, with drop-dead gorgeous wines to boot. Her Frappato is a lighter-bodied, refreshing and fruity red from southern Sicily that you can chill down, toss in your cooler and take to the beach."
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.