- What Happens When a Street Food Hawker and a Fine Dining Chef Make Dinner?
- 13 Star Chefs Share Their New Year’s Resolutions
- 9 Off-Beat Stocking Stuffers from the Mr. Donahue’s Team in NYC
- Tyson Cole Takes Tokyo and Hiroshima
- Restaurant Roots: Deuki Hong's Fried Chicken Dreams
- An Awesome Easy Italian Cookie for a Crowd
- Marcus Samuelsson's Harlem Thanksgiving
- Behold the Secret Burger Pizza at Emmy Squared’s Downstairs Bar
- Chef Travis Swikard's Guide to Autumn Squash
- Old Irving Brewing Opens, Bringing Pho-Flavored Beer to Chicago
It’s been a thrilling two weeks of online voting, and now we have a winner for the People’s Best New Chef. Hooray for Jamie Bissonnette, chef at Coppa in Boston! Bissonnette, with co-owner Ken Oringer, has created the kind of neighborhood restaurant we all wish we had down the block, albeit one that adds uni to the house-made spaghetti-and-smoked bacon carbonara.
Jamie Bissonnette is People's Choice Best New Chef!
This is also a good time to applaud regional winners like Midwest champion Lee Richardson, chef at Ashley’s at the Capital Hotel in Little Rock, Arkansas. Richardson created a dedicated website—voteforcheflee.com—and got American Idol winner Kris Allen to campaign for him. (Next time he's on Idol, I'm voting for him.) And then there’s Ricardo Zarate of L.A.’s Mo-Chica restaurant, who won the Pacific region thanks in part to a huge showing of national pride from the Peruvian community. And Tim Byres at Smoke in Dallas, who threw a big get-out-the-vote party that helped make him the Southwest champion.
Here’s a list of the regional winners (another round of applause). We salute you, and we also salute all 100 chefs in the People’s Best New Chef pool—you can find them here. We admire you all.
The Regional Champions
New England – Jamie Bissonnette, Coppa, Boston
Mid-Atlantic – Kyle Bailey, Birch & Barley, Washington DC
New York Area – David Felton, Ninety Acres, Peapack-Gladstone, NJ
Southeast – Bryan Emperor, Kalu Asian Kitchen, Charlotte, NC
Gulf Coast – James Lewis, Bettola, Birmingham, AL
Midwest – Lee Richardson, Ashley’s at the Capital Hotel, Little Rock, AR
Southwest – Tim Byres, Smoke, Dallas
Great Lakes – Jose Salazar, The Palace, Cincinnati
Pacific – Ricardo Zarate, Mo-Chica, Los Angeles
Northwest – Jason Franey, Canlis, Seattle