- F&W Taste Test: Best Caramel Sauces
- Editor's Choice: F&W's 10 Best Dessert Recipes of 2015
- Now You Can Buy The Meatball Shop’s Awesome Tomato Sauce
- The Best New Gift for Gin Drinkers
- The Baller Way to Travel to Pebble Beach Food & Wine
- Studying the Nuances of Cocktails in DC
- Top 10 Food Products of 2012
- Editor Picks: Top 5 Coffee Splurges of 2012
- Bid Now in MOFAD’s Epic Online Auction
- These Ultra-Cool EVERCUT Knives Will Stay Sharp for 25 Years
PDT's Mapo Tofu-Topped Mission Chinese Dog; Photo © Nick Brown.
“Mapo tofu and I have quite a history,” says Mission Chinese Food’s Danny Bowien. “It’s the inspiration behind the whole MCF project.” I consider it the perfect dish; the only thing I’ve wished for is a supersonic cocktail to wash it down with. Lucky me: MCF in Manhattan now has a sparkling new liquor license and a team set on perfecting the most perfect version of Sex on the Beach.
Now there’s more great booze-and-tofu news: the exceptional bar PDT has just put the Mission Chinese Dog on their menu. It’s an all-beef hot dog covered with Bowien’s exhilarating, Szechuan peppercorn-packed tofu, plus onions, cilantro and American cheese sauce. The Mission Chinese Dog is spicy and messy and requires a knife and fork. And, of course, a cocktail. PDT’s Jim Meehan recommends the Alambic Fizz, a mix of Cognac, lemon juice, Landy's 5-Year-Old Bual Madeira and pimento bitters. It’s also got peach lambic. Peach schnapps is key to Sex on the Beach; I expect this drink is as close as I'll get to having the Spring Break staple at PDT.