Did you know that the annual global consumption of beer is 189 billion liters compared to 49 billion liters of wine? Or that the average American drinks 216 12-ounce bottles of beer each year? If you guessed that Vatican City has the highest per capita consumption of wine of any country in the world, you'd be right. But no matter how much of a wine and beer smarty pants you are, you're bound to learn something from this beer vs. wine infographic.
Related: Beer Tasting Workout
Wine Tasting Workout
Cooking With Beer
In this series, photographer Melanie Dunea of My Last Supper takes a peek into the minds of working chefs and gets them to reveal their most prized possessions.
Jonathan Waxman of New York's Barbuto wouldn't leave a burning building without his leather satchel filled with knives—a gift from his friend, chef Michael Symon. To see them, click through the slideshow, Treasured: Jonathan Waxman's Knives. Here, Waxman offers his three best tips for caring for beautiful, high-quality knives.
1. Buy the most expensive knife you can. They are always better. And go to a proper knife store like Korin and buy the tools to take care of it—like my leather bag. Leather won't dull your knives. Wood is better than plastic but leather is best.
2. Protect the tips. My wife uses my knives all the time and I come home and they have nicks and divots in them and I ask what happened?! Japanese knives are brittle so don't sharpen them often.
3. Learn how to sharpen on a cheap knife. Then do it right on an expensive one. All my guys grind their knives on stones all day long and that's just bad for the knife.
Related: Jonathan Waxman Recipes
Jonathan Waxman's Secrets to Perfect Roast Chicken
Tweets of the Week
F&W doesn't expect you to see every tweet we send out (just almost every one). Catch up each week with this top 5 list.
1. @fandw: RT if you've ever eaten at @Commanders_NOLA #TopChef
2. @fandw: Bourbon lovers, here are the bottles you should be buying: http://fandw.me/1aSMJNi
3. @fandw: If you were a type of pasta, what would it be? It’s National Pasta Day! Celebrate with all breeds of noodle: http://fandw.me/15IMK6E
4. @fandw: Carving pumpkins? Save the seeds for these fantastic recipes: http://fandw.me/171QYcJ
5. @fandw: If you’re a fungi, you already know it’s National Mushroom Day! 30 recipes for porcinis, chanterelles & more: http://fandw.me/c5M5SC
Related: Great Recipes from Top New Orleans Chefs
Fast Weekday Pasta Recipes