- Raisin Bread Can Explain the Entire Universe
- How an Englishman Brought Iced Tea to the Masses
- Can Mushrooms Make You Immortal?
- How Napoleon Armed His Soldiers with Baguettes
- The Pious Origins of the Pretzel
- Who Was Suzette and How Did She Inspire Delicious, Flaming Crêpes?
- For 50 Painful Years, You Needed a Bayonet to Open a Can
- Could Swearing at Your Basil Plant Make it Grow?
- Why You Might Get a Stick of Dynamite If You Order a Taco
- Pink Lemonade First Got Its Color from Circus Performers' Red Tights
1. The word whisk comes from a word for ‘twig’ because the first whisks were made of sticks or straw.
2. When popcorn pops, kernels somersault about 490 degrees in the air before landing.
3. Linzertorte, a sweet pastry filled with jam, is the oldest-known torte in the world.
4. Nachos entered the universe when a chef went AWOL and an inspired waiter stepped in, tossing toppings on chips.
5. Shepherds first noticed the effect of coffee when goats ate the berries and started dancing.
6. Witches brew or homeopathic herbs? Birthwort, coltsfoot, feverroot, gypsywort, Adder’s Tongue.
7. One chocolate chip creates enough energy for an average adult to walk 150 ft.