- 7 Wine or Spirit Gifts for Every Personality Type
- Get Some Holiday Spirit(s)
- Bartenders Want You to Drink Fireball
- Apple Absinthe and More Complex Pours for Fall
- The Bog-to-Bottle Whiskey Experiment
- 4 Top American Single Malts
- The Best Thing to Come Out of Vermont Since Maple Syrup
- Cool Down with Fiery Water
- More Today Show Cocktails
- Cocktail vs. Wine Pairing Smackdown!
© Gordon Campbell Gray Hotels
The Lobby Bar at One Aldwych
I’m always impressed by the quality of London’s hotel bars. During my stay there last year, I spent most nights going back and forth between the Connaught hotel’s Connaught bar and Coburg bar (the latter recently introduced an amazing Bordeaux trolley). This year, I found a superfun pre-theater scene at the glamorous Lobby Bar of One Aldwych. The bar is known for its eclectic art, particularly an oversize bronze sculpture of a rower that towers over guests, as well as its great cocktails. They had just introduced an impressive new cocktail list that includes 63 drinks, both classics and wild concoctions like a Gazpacho Martini, made from lemon-infused gin spiced with sweet green pepper, cucumber, Midori and elderflower. I’m a traditionalist, so I ordered the G&T Martini, a glamorized gin and tonic made with homemade tonic syrup, the delicious new Beefeater 24 gin and lemon twist. There’s also a fancy bar-food menu that offers light snacks (hummus, tzatziki and Lebanese flatbread) or indulgent ones (braised pork belly with teriyaki sauce).