- Wonder Walls: How Restaurants Are Getting Into Custom Décor
- How a Plaster-Covered Wall Inspired the Design of One of Chicago’s Hottest Restaurants
- These Stunning Vases Combine Blown Glass and Stone
- This Chicago Chef Designed His Hit Restaurant Around His Home
- Make Every Day Beautiful with Mjölk's Latest Designs
- This Futuristic Table Will Keep Food Warm, Cool Down Drinks and Charge Your Phone
- Old School Egg Rolls and the Ultimate Shopping Experience with James Syhabout
- Dancer-Designer John Sorensen-Jolink's Gorgeous Home Design
- These Beautiful Ceramics Channel California Beach Vibes
- KLM Will Let You Sleep in a Decommissioned Airliner
© Kristin Donnelly
Dining Table made by SILO tables.
I’m cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner from start to finish on Thursday. What I’m thankful for this year: my guests won’t have to eat in front of the TV. After months of searching, I finally found the perfect dining table that fits my budget. I wanted it to be modern but made of rustic wood. Ideally, the legs would come off for easy transport. Like the answers to many New Yorkers’ prayers, I found the table on Craigslist. Or more appropriately, I found the carpenter there. Jed from Silo Tables built the table from reclaimed pine wood that’s loaded with character, with all kinds of quirky knots and even a few visible nails. The simple legs are made from reclaimed carbon steel and they screw in easily to the mounting plates under the table. Bonus: Jed delivers for no extra fee.
Included on my Thanksgiving menu:
- Roast Guinea Hens with Cumin-Date Sauce: With only four meat-eaters at dinner, I’m opting for smaller birds—I’m going to make F&W Marcia Kiesel’s clever, delicious Guinea Hen recipe using Cornish hens.
- Root Vegetable Gratin: With barely any cream, this gratin is all about the sweetness of the root veggies. Plus, it’s an elegant dish for vegetarians.
- Bay-Steamed Broccoli: I love the peppery, herbal flavor of bay leaves with juicy steamed broccoli, and this dish takes no time to make.
- Spiced Upside-Down Apple Bundt Cake: Because it’s just fabulous.