- 20+ Delicious Emmy Awards Cocktails and Snacks
- Every Food Is a Snack Now
- Crazy Fried Chicken
- Daniel Boulud Is Cooking for Air France
- This Kind of Food Is Both Filling and Insanely Good for You
- Donald Trump Deposed in Lawsuit Against José Andrés
- Here's One Controversial Way to Reduce Methane Emissions
- WikiLeaks Hack Reveals John Podesta's Secret to Creamy Risotto
- Michelin-Starred Ramen Restaurant to Open Second Location
- Mary Berry's BBC Show Could Launch Before Channel 4's Bake Off Debut
Every so often, we receive an artisanal food item in the mail accompanied by a long note (sometimes handwritten) from the producer (not a publicist, importer or retailer) asking if our staff could give it a try. And every once in a while, we're amazed by how good that food item is. Some of my favorites: the aptly named We Love Jam apricot jam, and exceptional flatbreads from Jennifer's Homemade.
Some almond butter jars that fall into both categories (handwritten note? check; amazing? check) recently arrived on my desk. Made by Jennifer Barney, a mother of four in California's almond-rich San Joaquin Valley, Barney Butter's Crunchy Almond Butter, made with roasted local almonds and a touch of cane juice, is superbly crunchy and fresh tasting. What I love best, though, is its mellow sweetness, a nice alternative to the assertive sugary flavor of most peanut butters.