- The Best Reason to Drink Gewürztraminer This Summer
- An Under-the-Radar Region That Makes Amazing Sauvignon Blanc
- Toast 2014 With Elegant Pink Cava
- Sure-Fire Wine Gift: Aged Rioja
- A Vividly Delicious Italian White
- Floral, Fragrant Bordeaux to Buy Now
- A Bargain White for Cold Weather
- A Beautiful, Balanced California Chardonnay
- This Berry-Packed Beaujolais is Amazing With Spicy Tuna Burgers
- Moscato d'Asti: Wine of a Thousand Uses
If your resolution is to find a delicious wine in a tricky category, consider this white from France’s Rhône Valley.
2012 Saint Cosme Côtes du Rhône Blanc: If your resolution is to find a delicious wine in a tricky category, consider a white from France’s Rhône Valley. These wines can sometimes taste flabby, in part because of the low acidity imparted by the commonly used (and otherwise commendable) Marsanne, Roussanne and Viognier grapes. Saint Cosme overcomes the issue by spiking its blend with a substantial dose of Picpoul de Pinet, a zippy grape whose name means "lip-stinger." The very fresh-tasting 2012 has baking spice notes on top of honeyed lemon and pear flavors.
Drink It With: Buttery-crispy-tangy dishes like chicken Kiev.
Also Look For: E. Guigal's white Côtes du Rhône, which is well-made, inexpensive and widely available. Or seek out the 2012 Domaine Romaneaux-Destezet Viognier-Roussanne from star winemaker Herve Souhaut.