- If You Love Trader Joe's, Get Excited for Lidl
- Now There's a Meal Kit Service for Babies
- The Wahlbergs Are Being Sued for Expanding Their Wahlburgers Chain
- Why Are Chefs Obsessed with This One Japanese Mayo?
- One Fifth of the World's Food Goes to Waste
- Is Soft Jazz the Secret to Great Goat Cheese?
- Hugh Acheson Unveils His Upcoming Slow Cooker Cookbook
- Here's a New Way to Spend $100,000 on Wine
- Scientists Create Fast-Growing, Weatherproof Broccoli
- This Grocery Store Fuels its Delivery Trucks with Food Waste
Most people go to the beach for vacation. Not Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo, the awesome guys behind Animal in L.A., who are also F&W Best New Chefs 2009. The pair will be fronting a pop-up restaurant at the Backyard, the dining room at the terrific Sole East hotel in Montauk, N.Y., from August 12-18 (reservations, 631-668-9739). Don't worry, they won't just be cooking: "We wanted a little fun and sun," says Shook, who, like Dotolo, is an avid surfer. Their plan: To serve some of Animal's greatest hits—melted petit basque cheese with chorizo and garlic bread; balsamic ribs with blistered corn and herb butter; bacon-chocolate crunch bars with salt-pepper custard sauce—as well as new dishes they're keeping secret. My plan: to eat there all seven nights.
© Nigel Parry