- 5 Survival Soups
- James Winberg’s End of the World Plan
- Chris Pandel’s End-of-the-World Pigs
- Ryan Lowder’s Spicy Survival Snack
- Why You Should Camp with Canola
- Don’t Mess with Kyle Bailey’s Spoon
- Dale Talde’s Retro Sugar Fix
- Give This Chef Caviar or Give Him Death
- Guy Savoy’s Luxe Last Meal
- Zak Pelaccio’s Giant End-of-the-World Backpack
Chef Kevin Gillespie's passion for beans will outlast the earth.
F&W asked chefs around the country how they would prepare for an apocalyptic situation, a la The Road. Some went for luxury goods—others focused on survival.
Gunshow chef Kevin Gillespie would pack a cast-iron pan (“because you can do nearly everything with that”), a pair of tongs, salt, a slab of cured pork (either fatback or bacon or both) and dried beans. “I grew up eating a ton of pinto beans and black-eyed peas,” he says. “A bag of beans will last forever. And they’re good for you. I love them: I can’t extoll my passion for beans enough, actually.”