- What's Inside a Hawaiian Wellington?
- One of the World's Best Restaurants Is Staging a 2-Night Pop-Up in Brooklyn
- Revealed: This Year's James Beard Foundation Awards Restaurant and Chef Semifinalists
- Team Estela Opens Flora Bar and Flora Coffee Tonight in The Met Breuer
- Houston Hero Hugo Ortega Reveals Xochi, His New Oaxacan Restaurant
- Breaking Baking News: Tartine Manufactory Is Now Open in SF
- Old Irving Brewing Opens, Bringing Pho-Flavored Beer to Chicago
- Behold the Secret Burger Pizza at Emmy Squared’s Downstairs Bar
- 7 Odd Kitchen Gadgets Chefs Can’t Live Without
- Naomi Pomeroy's Ultimate Braised Chicken Menu
I went to the James Beard Foundation Journalism Awards on Friday and want to give huge congratulations to several Food & Wine contributors: LA correspondent Brad Johnson for winning in the category of "Restaurant Reviews" for his work at Angeleno; writer Brett Anderson for outstanding "Newspaper Feature Writing About Restaurants and/or Chefs" for an article in the New Orleans Times-Picayune; and the Top Chef TV crew (including F&W's own Gail Simmons) for "Television Food Special" for their holiday special.
Other things I learned at the awards gala: co-hosts and über writers Matt Lee and Ted Lee, complete with matching seersucker suits, could become stand-up comics if they wanted to; and fellow dinner companion and nominee Zak Pelaccio (nominated for an excellent article he wrote for F&W's July 2007 issue, "An American Chef's Malaysian Love Story") has been hanging out with Mexican cooking authority Diana Kennedy, eats salads with his fingers, and promises that the retro-style ceiling fans at his new Fatty Crab in the Upper West Side will be just as awesome as at the ones in his West Village spot.