- A Fruity and Savory Under-$15 Cabernet
- A Sicilian Red Wine with a Do-Gooder Story
- The Best Wines to Pair with Mac and Cheese
- A Virginia Chardonnay That's Amazing with Seafood
- A Fruity, Floral Red from Spain’s Ribeira Sacra
- A Brilliant Biodynamic White from Oregon
- Last-Gasp-of-Winter White
- A Terrific Chianti Classico (With Some Age)
- A $10 Red Made By a Tuscan Superstar
- 3 Best-Ever Sweater-Weather Reds
Wine expert Noel Sherr reveals his favorite bottle costing less than $17. This selection is a lesser-known grape that makes light, perfumy reds.
Here, wine experts reveal their favorite bottles costing less than $17. Many of the selections are lesser known but absolutely worth the search.
Who: Noel Sherr, owner of Cave Taureau wines in Durham, North Carolina
Why: Grown in Piedmont in northwestern Italy, Freisa is a lesser-known grape that makes light, perfumy reds. “This one is absolutely delightful with juicy purple fruits, and a very pretty nose of rose petal and spice,” says Sherr. The wine really comes alive when chilled slightly, he says.
Kristin Donnelly is a former Food & Wine editor and cofounder of Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip balms made in Brooklyn.