- Emeril Lagasse’s Bacony Sauteed Radishes
- Thanksgivingukkah in Rwanda
- Jose Andres’s Homestyle Chicken Thighs
- Pay-What-You-Want Restaurants
- How Common Threads Can Get Kids Cooking For Life
- Five Thousand-Plus Cookies and Other Big Numbers from the Chefs for Kids Cancer Gala
- Edible Schoolyard Throws the Best Parties, Takes Kids on Epic Field Trips
- NYC’s Top Women Chefs Will Cook for a Cause
- Inside City Harvest’s Brilliant New Cookbook
- An Epic Indian Feast You Can Feel Good About
Eric Kayser is running the New York City Marathon for the first time this weekend. He worked with author and sports nutritionist Cynthia Sass to create a $30 prix-fixe menu focusing on the nutritional elements needed for endurance.
"Healthy" is usually not the first word that comes to mind when you think of a French patîsserie. But Eric Kayser, owner of the international chain of bakeries Maison Kayser, is aiming to change that–for this week at least. "I eat bread every day," he says, "And I run every day. I think if you feed the body well you can run a marathon or train for any sport you want to." Kayser, who has been running since he was 17 and opened his first location of Maison Kayser in Paris in 1996, will take on the New York City Marathon for the first time this weekend. In honor of the upcoming feat and to show his ongoing commitment to health (his bakeries always offer organic whole-grain breads and use high-quality ingredients), Kayser worked with author and sports nutritionist Cynthia Sass to create a $30 prix-fixe menu focusing on endurance. The three-course menu includes items like beet and avocado salad with hazelnuts and hazelnut dressing, roasted salmon with brown rice pilaf and sautéed kale and a banana-almond cake with sesame seeds and honey. Kayser also created Energy Sticks made from rye flour, which he loves to eat for a quick boost of strength before a run.
The menu will be available at all Maison Kayser locations in New York City through November 2, and proceeds will be donated to City Harvest and the Ronald McDonald House, which supports families and children.