- Raisin Bread Can Explain the Entire Universe
- How an Englishman Brought Iced Tea to the Masses
- Can Mushrooms Make You Immortal?
- How Napoleon Armed His Soldiers with Baguettes
- The Origins of Nachos, Coffee’s Effect on Goats and More Fun Food Facts
- The Pious Origins of the Pretzel
- Who Was Suzette and How Did She Inspire Delicious, Flaming Crêpes?
- For 50 Painful Years, You Needed a Bayonet to Open a Can
- Could Swearing at Your Basil Plant Make it Grow?
- Why You Might Get a Stick of Dynamite If You Order a Taco
Find out why you should embrace the snow before it melts.
1. One reason to embrace the snow before it's gone: It can be used as a leavening agent in baking.
2. Even heavier than original poundcakes: Bakers in Bucharest in 2008 made a 619 lb cake.
3. The record for most pancake flips? 140 in one minute.
4. No green ham here—nitrite salt in cured ham reacts with myoglobin to keep meat pink.
5. National Peanut Butter Day (January 24) is not for people with arachibutyrophobia—the fear of having peanut butter stuck on roof of mouth.
6. The Leap Year cocktail (lemon juice, gin, Grand Marnier and Carpano Antica) was invented on Leap Day 1928. Either it's 87 years old or won't turn 22 until next year.