- 13 Things to Add to Tacos
- 5 Incredible Cinco de Mayo Desserts
- Put Some Fruit in Your Guacamole
- 7 Mexican Cheeses You Need to Know
- 9 Ways to Eat as Much Avocado as Possible on Cinco de Mayo
- 5 Tequila Punches for Cinco de Mayo
- The Vampiritos of San Luis Soyatlan
- 5 Reasons to Add Fruit to Your Salsa
- 5 Creamy Queso Dips for Cinco de Mayo
- 7 Cinco de Mayo Drinks That Aren't Margaritas
Chock-full of candy and decorated to look like a piñata, this cake is sure to be a hit at your Cinco de Mayo party.
When you're a kid, there is hardly anything more exhilarating than taking a swing at a piñata and watching all the candy fall out. To remind me of those fun times—and, fine, to impress the guests at my Cinco de Mayo party—I decided to bake a cake that would serve as a great alternative to a traditional piñata: no ladder, no tree, no yard cleanup, and no bat-wielding, sugar-loaded, blindfolded kids required. Just an awesome, candy-filled cake that looks like a piñata.
Here, a step-by-step guide on how you too, can celebrate Cinco de Mayo with more candy and less clean up. (And cake.)
You will need:
Four 9-inch-round yellow cakes, chilled and leveled
2 ½ cups white frosting
6 cups frosting, assorted colors
3 cups assorted candies
1. Place 2 of the cakes on a work surface. With a 3 1/2-inch round cutter or bowl as a guide, cut out a 3 1/2-inch-round from the center of both cake layers. Remove the centers of the cakes and reserve for another use.
2. Place one whole cake layer on a cake stand or serving platter and, using an offset spatula, spread ½ cup of the white frosting to the edge of the cake.
3. Top with one of the cut cake layers. Spread ¼ cup of the white frosting over the top of the cake.
4. Top with the remaining cut cake layer and spread ¼ cup of frosting over the top of the cake. Spoon enough assorted candies into the center of the cake to fill the hole.
5. Top with the remaining whole cake. Spread a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake to create a crumb coat. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes. (Watch the video below for tips on frosting.)
6. With the assorted colored frostings in piping bags with Petal Tips, decoratively pipe stripes around and on top of the entire cake. (Watch the video below to learn how to do the decorative frosting technique.)
And there you have it: A beautiful, fun, delicious, candy-filled cake. Enjoy!