- 5 Ways to Celebrate Pi(e) Day a La Mode
- 7 Yakitori Recipes to Make at Home
- 9 Banh Mi Recipes for Desk Lunch Domination
- 7 Movie Theater-Inspired Snacks for an Awesome Oscar Party
- 7 Oscar Party Foods on a Stick
- 7 Sparkling Oscar Night Cocktails
- 7 Dressed-Up Bow-Tie Pasta Recipes for Oscar Night Dinner
- 9 Elegant Oscar Party Dessert Ideas
- 11 Monday Brunch Recipes
- 11 Super-Melty-Cheesy Dishes for a Snow Day
Small, typically green and covered in a thin, papery sheath, the tomatillo is a mystery to many and rarely a household staple. But the tart and tangy fruits are delicious, versatile and deserve a place in your summer cooking repertoire.
Small, typically green and covered in a thin, papery sheath, the tomatillo is a mystery to many and rarely a household staple. But the tart and tangy fruits are delicious, versatile and deserve a place in your summer cooking repertoire. Here, 10 introductory recipes for tomatillos.
1. Fresh Tomatillo-Poblano Sauce
This tomatillo and poblano chile sauce has great heat and depth. Try it with eggs or steak, or add it to a skillet as a finishing sauce for seared pork or chicken.
2. Chicken-Tomatillo Fajitas
For chicken fajitas with a twist, make this easy, tangy and spicy green sauce, which gets its punch from a combination of tomatillos, jalapeño, cilantro and scallions.
3. Avocado-and-Roasted-Tomatillo Salsa
Puréeing avocado with roasted tomatillos, garlic and jalapeño creates a tangy, guacamole-like dip that's great with baked tortilla chips.
4. Tangy Tomatillo Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Mexican cooks typically boil or roast tomatillos for tart sauces like salsa verde, but Daniel Orr likes to cut them up raw for salads like this one.
5. Tomatillo-Chipotle-Glazed Country Ribs
These hot and tangy ribs are the perfect centerpiece for a fantastic summer dinner party.
6. Grilled-Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Lightly charring the vegetables before puréeing them gives this salsa verde an alluring smokiness; fresh cilantro and tart lime juice make all the flavors pop.
7. Turkey and Tomatillo Chimichangas
The turkey filling for these pan-fried burritos, or chimichangas, is a healthy alternative to more traditional fillings like refried beans and shredded pork or beef.
8. Slow-Cooker Mexican Pork and Tomatillo Stew
This hearty stew requires just 30 minutes of active cooking. The slow cooker does the rest of the work.
9. Grilled Tomatillo Bread Salad
Bright, smoky and garlicky, this salad is made with crunchy croutons, queso fresco, grilled tomatillos and frisée.
10. Cornmeal-Fried Okra, Tomatillos and Tomatoes
These crunchy fried vegetables make for a perfect happy-hour snack.