Nobletree, a new Brooklyn roaster, offers classes for bean obsessives—and aspiring coffee-grading professionals. How do you score? Scroll down to find out.
1. What color are healthy, freshly picked coffee beans?
A. Dark brown
C. Light green/bluish-green
2. Which of the following is not a type of acid that coffee tasters must identify in a cup?
3. Which of the following coffee aromas falls under the olfactory category of “sugar browning”?
4. Which of these are among the 10 categories in which a coffee grader rates a cup of coffee?
D. All of the above
5. Which of these terms represents a defect that coffee bean graders must identify?
A. Full black
B. Partial sour
D. A and B
Answers: 1: C; 2: C; 3: B; 4: D; 5: D